Monday, September 9, 2013

Tales of the Pink Fairy, Part 2

This ugly gnome was inviting me in. And actually trying to smile. As if that would help the whole ugly issue. Fat chance.

I sashayed in with my nose in the air. Hiding my nerves. Not good to show your nerves. Never let em see ya sweat. That was my motto.

Trying to control my slightly trembling wings, I followed the solemn creature down the long dark hallway.

That was another thing. We fairies don't do dark. What was up with this guy?

The large wooden double doors at the end of the long hall opened as if they saw me coming.

Giving myself a silent shake, I walked in, head held high.

The Dark Omnipotence was seated on his majestic silver throne. His deep purple wings widely spread, showing off their rich, satiny color. His matching deep purple eyes glaring down at me as only the Dark Omnipotence could do.

Breathing deeply, I tried real hard not to be intimidated by the opulence of the space. The large room was heavily decorated in breathtakingly beautiful paintings and sculptures of famous fairies.

"What in the name of trees are you doing here, Mary Elizabeth? Do you seriously not have a brain in your pretty little head?"

Guess he hadn't forgotten that little confrontation we had in fairy high school. The one where he made a pass at me and I laughed. It figured he would have a long memory.

"I need to get Joseph. I'm sure he's sorry. You know, kids and all. What 'cha going to do?" I shrugged my little shoulders, pretending the whole conversation was just casual and all. Seemed the best way to go.

"I feel certain you know that's not going to happen. Joseph crossed a very serious line."

"Yeah, well, boys will be boys. Stupid just seems to be in their dna." Again with the shrugging. Probably wouldn't work twice. Sigh.

"The boy has no class. He knows he will never be good enough to be with my daughter." The pompous tones just oozed out of that man.

"Let's just wait a minute here. There is nothing wrong with my nephew and if I heard correctly, your precious darling was quite happy with the attention." Okay, so maybe I went a little overboard.

Dark Omnipotence stood. His deep purple wings darkening to almost black with the intensity of his anger. His dark, but extremely handsome face making it very clear what he was feeling.

"How dare you! How dare you speak of my daughter in that casual manner! Gnomes, lock her up! She needs to think about her manners." The Dark Omnipotence seemed to shake as he spoke. Real clear he was a bit on the angry side. Real clear.

Of course, I huffed and blustered all the way down the very creepy and extremely unfairy like steps to the dungeon. I really needed to learn to think before I opened my little pink mouth. For bees sakes, what do I do now?

The gloomy and distasteful looking gnomes marched in complete tandem behind me completely disregarding the very simple fact that their fat misshapen legs were longer and faster than my petite ones.

"Mary Elizabeth! What are you doing here?" Little (sarcasm intended) Joseph's face lit up with joy at the sight of my perfect pink face.

"I came here to rescue you. What were you thinking messing with Dark Omnipotence's daughter? Is there a brain in that pointy little head of yours?"

The boy had the good grace to hang his head, I'll give him that.

"I'm sorry, Mary Elizabeth. We just can't help ourselves. We love each other."

Darn it. He used the sad eyes trick. Hard to stay mad when they look at you with the sad eyes.

"Well, we are both in a peck of trouble now." I shook my head, now wondering who thought of the expression, pride goeth before the fall. Probably facing Domain Master would have been the better way to go.

"They'll come to us, you know they will. Domain Master would never let anything happen to you, Mary Elizabeth." Spoken like a true traitor.

My glaring and clearly angry eyes were not having any effect on the boy. That's all I need. Domain Master thinking he has to swoop in and rescue me. How do I get myself into these messes? Sigh.

Well, at least the cells were high enough to do some stress relief flying. Got to pass the time somehow until someone figures out that now we're both locked up.

Swooping up and down the tall but narrow cell, I tried to stay calm and focused. Not too difficult. Worrying never solved nothing. Things generally tended to sort themselves out if you can just be patient enough to let them.

Patience being a personality trait I never seemed to have acquired.

The tops of the cells were covered with a heavy wire grid. Letting the sun and fresh air in, but making sure you didn't get out.

On the other hand, a good healthy dose of anxiety did cause you to loose a few pounds. I always have been a glass half full kind of thinker.

Joseph's nervous fluttering was getting on my nerves. It was uneven. Not smooth, the way adults fly. He hadn't developed that yet.

"Joseph, you need to fold up those wings until one of us gets out of here. You are treading on my last nerve with that fluttering."

Immediately folding his wings and crouching on the floor of the cell, Joseph looked apologetically at me through the heavy metal grid that divided the two cells.

"I'm sorry, Mary Elizabeth. I'm worried about Princess. I'm worried Dark Omnipotence will punish her harshly."

"Punish her harshly? Please. The worst thing that'll happen to her is she'll have to sweep up her own fairy dust for a day or two. Punish her harshly, indeed. Joseph, sometimes you worry me greatly."

"You don't understand, Mary Elizabeth. Princess's delicate hands are not made for hard labor of any kind. They are just made to be admired."

Rolling my eyes and trying to control myself, I couldn't stop making a gagging sound.

"Joseph, you need to stop speaking now or being locked up in this cell won't be the worst thing that happens to you today."

I folded herself neatly into a corner of my cell. Closing my pink eyes, I tried to go to my happy place.

"Mary Elizabeth?"

Eye roll and dirty look from me. What I call a twofer. Usually has a silencing affect on whoever I direct it to.

"What part of not speaking did you not get, Joseph?"

"Is mom mad?" His anxious voice guilt trips me into answering nicely.

"Joseph, Francine doesn't get mad, she gets worried. And yes, she is definitely that."

"I'm sorry. I really am."

"Again, what part of not speaking did you not hear, Joseph?" Me needing silence desperately. Have to figure out a plan.

"Okay, I'm sorry."

Eye roll and sigh. Another twofer.

 
End of Part Two

No comments:

Post a Comment