Friday, September 6, 2013


“Oh, so that’s what you really think, do you, Mary Elizabeth?”

 I knew those deep blue tones. Just how long had he been behind me? Even more important, how long had I been talking out loud?

Without turning around or pausing in my determined march forward, I answered in what I hoped was a very casual tone.

“I knew you were back there, Domain. I was just trying to show you that I don't really need you.” It was amazing that my nose didn’t grow a foot from that lie.

 "What happened to your wing, Mary Elizabeth?” Domain Master decided to just change the subject.
 
Good choice. I was getting tired again.

 “For bee's sakes, one of those pesky leprechauns bumped into me. Never even stopped, neither. So rude, those leprechauns.” I had stopped walking, but still hadn’t turned around. Being embarrassed wasn’t one of those things I did well, either.

His tone softening, Domain Master put his hand on my shoulder.“Mary Elizabeth, I will fly you back. We need to get that wing cared for.”

 He had to go and touch me. And feel sorry for me. A twofer. I was done. Humbled and crumbled by his soft touch and soft words.
 
And it had been a long day, after all.

“Okay.” My normally shrill tones sounded very quiet even to my ears.

 Without further conversation, Domain Master pulled me on his back and off we went.

 My, my, that fairy could fly. Smooth and straight as an arrow. It took my breath away. His powerful deep blue wings barely making a sound as they lifted us in the air and on our way to Toadstool Meadow.

The trip was over much too soon. Though I wouldn’t admit it for anything, being able to hold on tightly to Domain Master was like coming back home. I did miss him.

I could see all the windows lit up in Francine’s little home. Already her and Joseph were pushing each other through the front door, trying to get to the spot where we landed with such grace I barely felt it..

Gently, Domain Master eased me off his back and turned to look at me, his eyes asking a question he didn’t dare say out loud.

“Well, thank you Domain Master. I appreciate you bringing me home. We’ll probably see you around.” My pointy chin held high, he knew my answer was still no. I would not be going back to the home he and I had shared for more years than I care to admit to. I would be staying with Francine.

Domain Master sighed, but put on a brave smile for Francine and Joseph.

“She’s back safe and sound. You can breath now, Francine.”

“Oh Mary Elizabeth, we were so worried! Are you alright? You must be hungry! Domain Master, you must come and have supper with us. Blueberry casserole tonight. I know you love that!” Francine was propelling me towards the house, her head turned and talking to Domain Master at the same time. Her excitement and relief making her yellow wings flutter and almost glow.

“That’s okay, I really need to be going. Thank you, though, Francine. The offer is tempting.” Domain Master’s eyes never stopped watching me as he spoke. I couldn’t see them, but I could feel them. That’s how it was with us.

As we sat down around Francine’s clover leaf table, the matching clover leaf chairs pulled out invitingly, I had to force a smile on my face.

I would need to forgive that man.

"So, Mary Elizabeth, tell us what happened! Start with when you first spoke with Dark Omnipotence. What did he say? What did you say? Did he talk about the Dark Princess? Is she alright?” Joseph’s eager questions brought me right back to where I should be.

“Oh, pish posh, that old Dark Omnipotence just thinks he’s the be all and end all. I put him in his place.”

I spent the rest of the meal, telling (and maybe embellishing just a bit) and retelling my story in between bites of the best blueberry casserole this side of the Boulder Rock. Heck, probably the best on that side too.

 

             

No comments:

Post a Comment